1927-28 Mrs. Coulter's class in the Grape Creek School building. Note the wood stove in back of room. This picture is from the George W. Groff collection.
1935-37 "Rock Building" built by WPA. This building was used by the school for a cafeteria and community meeting place. Mr. S.T. Allen was principal during this time. During the 1930s, Grape Creek classes went through Grade 10. Students during this era attained high school diplomas by graduating Grade 10. The school eventually became a K-8 district with high school students transferring to other districts and continuing through grade 12.
1948-50 Pulliam School consolidated with Grape Creek School. The consolidation was necessary for Pulliam because their school was located where the O.C. Fisher Dam was to be built.
1961 Red Creek (Quail Valley) consolidated with Grape Creek and Veribest districts.
1962 Enrollment grew to 71 students, partially due to the consolidation.
1963 Land was purchased (from the Poss family) and the building that is now the middle school was built. The county school board at the time included President Buford L. Dulin, Secretary J. B. Scoggin, Members R. L. Baker, William Burrell, Venoy Michaels, Henry Raburn and J. P. Williams.
1964 Enrollment--126 Students
1965 Enrollment--136 Students
1970 Until this year, Grape Creek had been a county school governed by the County School Board and a County Superintendent was chief administrator.
1971 Grape Creek became an Independent School District and named its first resident superintendent. Dan C. Grounds, who joined the district in 1968, was the first Superintendent of the Grape Creek-Pulliam Independent School District. Grounds had been a teacher, coach, and, finally, principal in the district before becoming the superintendent. Enrollment grew to 220 students. Kitchen and cafeteria areas were added to the building.
1972 The gymnasium was added to the south end of the building.
1973 A portable building was placed behind the gymnasium for extra space and resource classes.
1974 The first of two elementary wings was built on the south side. Enrollment grew to 305.
1981 The second elementary wing was built on the south side. Enrollment grew to 551.
1984 One extra room was built onto each of the elementary wings.
1985 Four portable buildings were added behind the elementary area. Enrollment grew to 614.
1987 Construction of a Grape Creek Sports Complex was begun on part of the land where the high school now stands. A stadium, track and field house were included in the plans.
1988 Three more portable buildings were added behind the building.
1990 Enrollment grew to 678.
1991 A portable building to house administrative offices was added, along with a "Functional Living" building and a classroom for "Early Childhood". Dan Grounds resigned in October and David Clegg became the interim superintendent before the district hired Dr. Billy Howell as the second superintendent in the history of the school. Dr. Howell came to the district from Amarillo River Road.
1992 Dr. Billy Howell assumed duties as superintendent and tackled problems with accreditation, the building of the sports complex, and the possibility of passing a bond to build a high school.
1993 Enrollment reached 693. The district attempted to pass a bond election to build a high school/middle school on the same land where the sports complex was built. The bond election was defeated. There was strong opposition to the building of a high school, but many voiced a willingness to build just a junior high building on that site. The problem with that scenario was that the financial basis for the plan was retaining money that the district was currently spending in tuition for sending Grape Creek secondary students to other area high schools and receiving state attendance money for those students. There would have been no monetary gain by building just a junior high school.
1994 Dr. Howell resigned to become superintendent of Shallowater ISD and GCISD began a search for a new superintendent.
1994 June 1, 1994, Dr. David Goodman was named as the third superintendent of GCISD. He came to Grape Creek from Midlothian ISD where he had been a successful high school principal. Working with the board of trustees on the long-term plans for the district, Dr. Goodman began researching methods for building a high school without the need for a bond election.
1995 Administrative offices were moved from the portable building behind the elementary school to its current location in the Bank of America building at 8207 US Hwy 87N. Work was begun on plans and financial options for building a high school and keeping Grape Creek secondary students in the district.
1996 Three portable buildings (6 classrooms) were placed on the land where the old red brick building had stood. These rooms were used to house the freshman class of the proposed new high school. The plans were underway to keep Grape Creek high school students and phase in the high school classes one year at a time. The first graduating class would be the class of 2000.
1997 August 11, 1997, the ribbon was cut at the new high school building and students registered for the first day of classes in the new facility. Enrollment for the K-10 student body reached 934.